The ORWA consists of RAPADs seven local government members: Barcaldine Regional Council, Barcoo Shire Council, Blackall-Tambo Regional Council, Boulia Shire Council, Diamantina Shire Council, Longreach Regional and Winton Shire Council and three (3) non-local government members: the Department of Energy and Water Supply (DEWS), Queensland Water Directorate (qldwater) and the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ).
The ORWA is governed by a Constitution, and a Memorandum of Understanding, which sets out the structure, governance and key functions of the Alliance and represents the strategic and operational guidelines for the ORWA.
The aim of the ORWA is to assist its member councils to achieve the following key functions:
- strategic planning for both regional priorities in relation to service delivery and for the delivery
- of management systems, plans for regulatory compliance (environmental, public health) and effective business management (demand management, pricing, customer service agreements);
- regional advocacy, inter-government relations and promoting the region to State and Federal agencies with roles in infrastructure and service delivery;
- provision of a forum to share and leverage the technical skills of the region more broadly; and
- joint procurement initiatives, especially in relation to achieving the points above.