The Outback Regional Roads and Transport Group (ORRTG) covers 538,000km². The road network has a significant impact on the regions viability as well as the major industries of mineral resources, tourism and cattle, as it is located in one of Queensland's most productive export producing areas. The road network also serves an important role in connecting local communities and providing access to basic services.
The ORRTG's objectives are:
- contribute to an effective and efficient transport network and minimise delays caused by flooding
- accurately represent the needs of the outback region
- contribute to and support regional and economic development and stimulate economic growth through investment in the road network
- improve accessibility to essential services and enhance quality of life within the region
- improve technical skilling and resourcing of district and council offices to meet community needs.