Cr Rick Britton
Mayor – Boulia Shire Council
Eric (Rick) Britton and his photographer wife Ann, own and operate cattle breeding enterprises in Queensland’s North West. Residing just outside of Boulia at Goodwood Station, Rick is a long-‐term member of that region. Rick’s grandmother and father were born in Boulia and Rick and Ann have two children, Thomas and Claire.
Rick has a significant demonstrated experience in public administration, leadership and governance, along with a lifetime of knowledge of primary production in some of Australia’s harshest climate. He is a passionate community advocate and through his role as Mayor he has developed an intimate understanding of the needs of communities, both rural and non-‐rural.
Rick is currently the Mayor of Boulia Shire Council, a position he has now held since 2008. Prior to that he entered local government as a councillor in 2007. In his role as Mayor, Rick has been a Director of RAPAD since 2008, and was President of the West Qld Local Government Association, Chair of the Outback Regional Roads Group and Chair of the Central West Regional Pest Management Group. Rick took carriage of the rural financial counselling service, delivered through RAPAD as Rural Financial Counselling Service Qld – Central Southern Region through to 31 March 2016 until the transition to Rural Financial Counselling Service North Queensland. He is now the Chair of Rural Financial Counselling Service North Queensland Project Management Board.
In both his local government, RAPAD and business interests, Rick actively pursues professional development opportunities. To further his knowledge of governance and administration, Rick has completed the Australian Institute of Company Directors course.
Rick is actively involved in many community groups and events. Rick is the Boulia AgForce branch president. Both Rick and Ann are heavily involved in the hands on work and practical assistance for many years with the Boulia Easter Campdraft, Races and Rodeo weekend and The Back to Boulia Event held during September. Goodwood Pastoral Company has been a host employer for RITE, which is a rural training scheme for young people. Goodwood is also a case study for Grazing Land Management studies.
Employment and or Business interests: current and past
- 1979-‐86, Station Hand on various properties through Diamantina and Boulia Shires
- 1987-‐to present Director, Owner, Manager of Goodwood Pastoral Company a Family owned Company operating Beef Breeding and Fatting enterprise within the Boulia Shire
- Host Employer for Rural Industrial Traineeship Education.
Employment and related short courses
- Owner Wool Classer 1996-‐2006
- Grazing Land Management (Mitchell Grass Downs) – 2007
- Leading Groups Workshop 2007
- Project Manager for Channel Country Weed Project (Hamilton Channels Proj 1)
- Project Coordinator Blue Print for the Bush Boulia Project
- Case Study for Grazing Land Management
- Wet Spelling Grazing
- AICD Director training
Elected positions / Government held positions– current and past:
- Shire Councillor 30th January 2007/2008
- Mayor of Boulia Shire 16th March 2008 – present;
- Western Queensland Local Government Association President 2008/2012
- Chair of the CWRPMG 2008/Present
- Chair of the RFCSQCSR (2012/2016) and since 2016, Rural Financial Counselling Service North Qld (RFCSNQ)
Company Directorships: current and past
- Director of Goodwood Pastoral Company Pty Ltd
- Director of E & A Britton Super fund
- Director of Remote Area Planning and Development Board
- Director of TNWRDA 2008/2012
Community Positions– current and past
- Director of AgForce cattle Board 2008/2014
- Boulia Camel Races President 2008/2012
- Boulia Rodeo President 2010/2012
- Ag-‐force Boulia Branch president 30th March 2007-‐ present.